article by Julia on April 3, 2011
Serves 4 as a main meal/ 278 cals per portion Serves 6 as a side dish/ 192 cals per portion
- 100ml good quality olive oil
- 500g aubergine, cut into 2.5-3cm chunks
- 250 ml of water (as required)
- 1 heaped tablespoon of paprika (pimiento dulce)
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- dash of Tabasco
- 350g courgettes cut into 2.5cm slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into 5cm squares
- ½ yellow pepper, cut into 5cm squares
- ½ green pepper, cut into 5cm squares
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the aubergine and sauté for 10 minutes, adding a little of the water if the aubergine begins to stick to the pan.
- Add the paprika, crushed garlic and Tabasco. Then add the courgettes and sauté until they soften and the aubergine starts to dissolve in parts to form the basis of a sauce.
- Continue to simmer gently for 10 minutes, covering with a lid but stirring at regular intervals.
- Finally add the chunks of pepper and a little more of the water if necessary, continue to sauté the vegetables for about 6 minutes over a high heat until the peppers have just began to soften but retain their colour.
- The sauce should be thick and red from the paprika, so add water only to loosen the juices at the bottom of the pan and to make a paste with the slowly dissolving aubergine. Some of the aubergine must, remain intact.
Ratatouille is so much better when the flavours have been allowed to develop. I made mine on a Sunday morning and reheated it on Monday night. I served it with baked potatoes. Healthy, and so pretty with all the colours, but above all damn delicious!!