article by Julia on May 1, 2011
1 med cauliflower, separated into florets
55g / 2oz vegan margarine
1 onion, chopped
40g / 1 ½ oz plain flour, sieved
425 ml soya milk
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper
- Steam or gently boil the cauliflower florets for about 15 minutes. The cauliflower needs to have a little bite.
- Meanwhile, melt the margarine in a saucepan on a medium heat and add the onion. Cook until the onion has softened but try not to let the onion brown.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the sieved flour, mixing with a wire beater. When fully mixed cook on a low heat, mixing all the time for a few minutes, until the raw flour taste has gone.
- Then slowly add the milk mixing all the time to stop the sauce catching. Bring to boiling point. If sauce is too thick add a little of a cauliflower cooking water.
- Take from the heat and add the nutritional yeast, stir until melted. Season if required.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets onto a serving dish, pour over and sauce and sprinkle with paprika pepper.
- Serve at once with roast parsnips and sweet potato with steamed green beans. Absolutely fabulous!!